Thursday, October 01, 2009

the "joys" of previous owners...

Let me start by saying "I love my house." Its old and thus filled with character, charm, and plenty of projects to take on to fill boring evenings. While far too large for just one person, the amount of space opens up endless ministry and entertaining possibilities. This excess of space also affords me the luxury of finding ways to decorate to minimize each individual space and create a comfortable and homey atmosphere.


I should also note that I really like some of the random things that have been left in my house; a vacuum, microwave, spare furniture, work benches, lumber, etc. I'm currently working to refinish an antique desk that was left to collect cobwebs and dust in the basement. What's not to love about that?? One other item that is not included in the above list but is too curious to not mention in this blog is a handmade piece of pottery that looked like several snake heads, and also contained a bunch of "questionables" inside. Good times!


Anyway, all that being said; what I don't love about my home are the "issues" that indicate not so conscientious previous owners. Let me clarify that, in venting my frustration, I'm in no way intending to criticize the character of any of the former lovers of my home. As much as a "thing" can have such attributes, the house is very endearing and seems to have been loved by many people (about which I know next to nothing). I'm sure most of these people, if not all, were decent upstanding citizens who personalized the home to their liking. My intent is to not critcize their style, just the lack of thought that accompanied some of the projects they endeavored. Both have become more apparent as I tackle each new "improvement" to what is now my beloved home. Probably more so due to my OCD nature.


Other than improving the structural integrity of the barn (for which I am truly grateful), the man I bought the home from, Ed Stedman, made no changes to the property. None that I recollect anyway, being that I toured 11 N. Clover prior to his purchase. Technically, since Ed didn't do much during his residency, he's off the hook here. "Thanks for the extra microwave and vacuum Ed." Moving on.


From what I've gathered, the people Ed purchased the home from were responsible for the update to the master bath (again, I am very grateful). However, the renovation includes improperly finished drywall; mismatched lighting, plumbing fixtures, hardware, and mirrors; upside down GFI outlets; and doors that do not match those in the rest of the house.  If you're not sure what you're doing - do a little research and educate yourself.  That's all I've got to say on that.


The remaining issues that have arisen were created by an unknown owner, or at least one that hasn't been clearly defined to me. The facts are as follows:


Windows. All of the original windows in the home on the lower level have been painted shut. They are the old school windows with sash cords and weights.  Beyond just painting the windows shut, many of the the sash cords have been either painted (I assume to cover dust) or cut off entirely.  Even if I could break through the layers of paint locking my windows show, the cut and painted cords add an additional element to my dilemma.  My bedroom window was most likely replaced with the improvements done to the bathroom. As such, it is thankfully in good working order. The two sliding glass doors are also in working order but this brings me to my second window related concern ~ who puts an inaccessible second slider in a home where a window should go instead? My insurance company wanted me to put steps up to this over sized window! Instead, my dad was good enough to help me build a rail that is now mounted to the wall so no one falls out of the slider that is never used.

Wall Finishes. Nearly every room on both floors sports wallpaper with several coats of paint overtop. If that isn't bad enough, I've had to replace every single outlet and switch (covers included) because all of them had been painted over. Some with enough coats of paint to render them unuseable. Additionally, last fall I discovered that one of the upstairs rooms was never primed prior to painting. How did I "discover" this? I decided to paint stripes on the wall and at the completion of my project, when I pulled the tape lines off the wall, several colors of paint came right up with it. I called my dad (what would I do without him) in tears about this... Thanks to growing up in a constant construction project, I knew enough about spackle and patchwork to repair the mess made.  Not quite good as new because tape lines are cleaner lines than the ones made by shaky hands but good enough to pass my inspection.

Plumbing.  If its leaking, clamps and silicone caulk do not count as a solid fix... Even 1" thick caulk.  This is not up for discussion, its just a fact.  Grab your saw, some new piping and connections, pipe cleaner and glue, and do the job right.


Decks.  4x4's are not used on decks for decorative purposes.  They are structural support.  As such, burying them 6" in the ground is ineffective.  K?  Glad we're on the same page now.

I'm not quite sure how to end this post other than to say that I recognize the blessing of being able to own my own home - I am very blessed.  I'm not a negative person so don't read too much into what I've said.  Just have a laugh with me about the "joys" of previous owners.  I would love to hear other people's stories so post a comment if you have your own horror stories to share.

No comments: