Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Amber Can Cook

When talking to a friend the other night, he seemed surprised that I could cook. Not a big deal to me but a very big deal to him. By asking a few simple questions, I discovered that he'd grown up in a home where Sunday was the only day he got a home-cooked meal. I can't even fathom that...
Our conversation made me realize how spoiled I've been that, not only did I have entrees prepared from scratch, I had a family meal nearly nightly. Sure my siblings and I bickered over who sat where and who got the "pretty fork," but really, the time that we were able to spend at the dinner table was precious. We discussed our daily adventures, spent a little time confessing, shared our hopes and dreams, and talked about scripture and faith. It was a time where we were free to discuss anything and everything without concern over whether it was "proper" or the time limit.
Through our nightly conversation time, I learned who my family really was, the good and the bad. I can't imagine missing that during my childhood!! What a blessing to have the ability to be free to talk and share a meal with family. I never realized how rare a treat it was...
As Mother's Day has passed and Father's Day is quickly approaching, it's a great time to reflect on the priorities that one's parents have maintained. To my parents, communication and conversation was important, not only in their relationship, but also within our entire family unit. For that I will forever be grateful...

1 comment:

Sara said...

You know, this is intruiging to me because I am currently reading a book called "The Surprising Power of Family Meals: How eating together makes us stronger, happier, and healthier"- I find it fascinating. I, too, grew up with a nightly family supper. I would definitely recommend this book, as it draws social and cultural observations about the impact of such meals. It has been the source of many conversations between Jon & I already, and it also helps me realize what I want to do with my own kids someday!