Sunday, January 15, 2006

An Endless Wait

I've decided that friends and families of women who are induced or have C-section deliveries are oblivious to what a blessing a scheduled birth is. As I await the birth of my closest friend's first child, I find myself unreasonably irritated by the unpredictability of the event.

She has asked me to be present when her little guy arrives and I am truly honored to take part, however, the waiting is frustrating. Technically she's not due until January 30 so there's really no rush, but she's showing signs that give us reason to believe he'll come sooner than that. Hence, my impatience.

I find myself with a cell phone as a constant companion. Whether I'm showering or sleeping, at work or church, my LG is ever present. Typically, I'm very considerate with my cell phone as it relates to those around me, but I'm finding that being available at all times is trumping my usual consideration.

As I contemplate the source of my frustration, I have to admit to myself that it is not related to my cell phone or even being able to control the situation. The heart of the issue is that I'm struggling to watch someone I care about suffer. For 9 months she's struggled with an unusually difficult pregnancy. Knowing that "the end is near" is great consolation but not knowing how much longer she will have to continue in pain may prove to be my undoing. Of course I'm excited to lay eyes on a child that was created as a result of the love between this husband and wife, but I'm truly looking forward to the end of my friend’s discomfort.

So I continue my vigilance and maintain my relationship with my cell phone. Until I get that call, I will continue to pray that little Parker arrives quickly and puts an end to our waiting.

1 Samuel 12:16
"Now stand still and see the great thing the LORD will do before your eyes.”

Today's Song... "He's My Son" - Mark Schultz
"I'm down on my knees again tonight; I'm hoping this prayer will turn out right"

No comments: