Monday, January 23, 2006

Whatamessage!

Wow! Isn't it funny sometimes how a sermon can catch you just right?

Sunday, our pastor wrapped up our three week "Spiritual Retreat". His focus was on emptying our spiritual suitcase of all the things that weigh us down and he used a verse in Luke to challenge us to commit to dying to those things. It was simply incredible and touched on so many of the things I've been struggling with lately. Each of the 5 things he listed could be directly applied to my life and I found myself wanting to dispose of all that burdens me.

I continued to ponder his message as I went about the rest of my day and I found myself coming back to his Aslan Ethic, "He gave up so much to gain so little." I realized that I am in a position to do the same. I can give up my materialism, let go of my bitterness, walk away from my fixation on other people's approval, and I can certainly deny myself the things that bring brief pleasure. In doing so, I will gain the things that I cannot purchase or work hard enough for; contentment, fulfillment, joy.

It's so simple and yet I've fought so long to hang on to my "baggage". For what purpose though? All I can say is that I'm realizing it's time to let go... Pastor Chris, I am unloading my suitcase, thanks in part to your encouragement.

Luke 10:41
"Martha, Martha," He said, "thou art careful and troubled about many things"

Today’s Song… “Cares Chorus” - Kelly Willard“I cast all my cares upon You. I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet. And any time I don't know what to do, I will cast all my cares upon You.”

No comments: