Thursday, January 12, 2006

Epiphany

I have this issue... At times I think it's a rather wonderful characteristic but occasionally I find it frustrating. "What?" you say. I over think things; yes I'll even admit it. For instance, the other day I was contemplating friendships. I have a friend who has basically been abandoned by those who should be looking out for him. Being the type of person who jumps into relationships heart first, I have never understood those who enter relationships only in an attempt to appease their own selfish nature. (I could go off on a serious bunny trail here).

Yesterday, as I considered the situation that this friend has found himself in, I had this amazing epiphany. I'm a firm believer that in healthy loving relationships, your love is reflected when your main concern becomes meeting the needs of the other person. You don't have to worry about meeting your own needs because real love means that they will be striving to meet your needs as well. This becomes quite evident in marriage relationships but can also be seen in friendships. (Allow me a minute to stress the fact that humans are incapable of meeting all of each other's emotional needs and this is where a relationship with Christ comes in to play. Now that being said, please continue.)

So the really amazing thing that finally clicked with me is this; if earthly love is even a dim reflection of Christ's love for the church, I don't have to worry about me. My physical needs; but also my dreams, goals, and my hearts deepest longings; Christ knows those things and he is concerned and focused on me to the point of meeting those needs. Alternately, my only concern should be living a life that glorifies him. A life that worships him and reflects my love for him.

As my mind tried to consider all of the far reaching affects of this, I was overcome with a sense of peace. My focus lately has been how to heal and bring my life to a point where I'm satisfied with my status. I've struggled to find that place and my intimate connection with Christ, at times, has seemed non-existent. What I'm realizing is that taking care of my self emotionally has never been my responsibility and my focus on it has kept me from truly loving Christ. I can allow Someone else to step in and take care of it for me but even more so, I can find purpose in falling deeply in love with my Savior.

As I try to allow this thought to change my life, may it also challenge you to discontinue putting your needs above the longings of our Savior's heart.

John 15:7
If you remain in me, and my words remain in you, you will ask what you desire, and it will be granted!

Today’s song… “You Make Me Come Alive” – Rebecca St. James

No comments: